Filmmaking Major Wins Student New England Emmys

The Boston/New England division of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences has announced that Shirley Reid, a senior Filmmaking major, has won two Student New England Emmys. Reid was the winner in the Animation/Graphics/Special Effects category as producer/director and designer, as well as the winner in the Audio/Sound category as sound designer.

Filmmaking Senior Shirley Reid wins two student Emmys

Reid pulls her inspiration for her work from a worldview philosophy. “There is a ballet of crisis and spectacle inherent in my world view. The struggle between beauty and war, generosity and greed, ecstasy and terror, narrowed into meaningful minutiae is what I strive to explore with video and digital media,” says Reid.

She also credits mentors Gordon Glover, Malcolm Francis, Eric Sample, Julia Swift, Kevin Murakami and Gary Scudder, who she says she owes “a renewed sense of awe in the splendor of people, even my fellow students, and the rest of earth’s wonders and agonies.” Reid was surprised that she has been honored this way, but despite taking the road less traveled by, she believes in her message:  “Be vigilant and grateful. I look for the moment when my actors engage in themselves and the moment.  As the Buddhist saying goes: you cannot invite wind, but you must leave the window open.”